Translate

Friday, October 19, 2012

Cub Scout Growl-Take 2

Remember the tent?
After all the activities of the first blog took place, we kept going to the tent to warm up, because it kept getting colder and colder.  I donned my hat that I knitted a few years ago.  It was more pretty than warm I came to find out.  We ate supper that was provided and then hunted for wood because one of the fathers just HAD to have a fire.  He couldn't get it started.  I finally did (thank you wood stove!).  Like I told him, I can start the stove, I'm just not good at keeping it going.  My husband's the opposite.  Weird.

Anyway, we marched away from the one light-and heat-source in the woods, with no moon in sight (it must have been cloudy) to the camp bon fire thingy.  We met a group going, otherwise we'd still be there at dawn yelling for help to get back home.  (I forgot to pack a flashlight...and a towel...but at least it wasn't the week in girl scout camp when I forgot to pack underwear...that was fun)  I utilized my cell phone for lighting only to find the benches surrounding said bon fire covered in hay.  Dry hay...what were these people thinking.  

Alllllll the way there, I was hoping we could have just stayed lost instead because this one kid was behind us singing the whooooole time, "Where's my momma?  I am sooooo maaaaad.  She was thiiiiiis biiiiig."  By the time we got there, the fire ready benches were a welcome change.  So the leaders sang a bit and talked a bit and then asked if anyone else wanted to.  This kid gets up and sings for us.

"Yesterday I'm walking home from school, walking home from school, walking home from school.  There was momma, and daddy, and brother, and sister-and who knows who else-where's my cousin?  I am soooooo maaaaaad.  He was thiiiiiis big." Holds his fingers up to show an inch.  I hold back tears.  You made one fatal mistake child.  I know what you look like now.  "Where's my momma?  I am sooooo maaaaad.  She was thiiiiiis biiiiig."  Hold hands wide in front of him.  Yeah-real funny kid.  You really know how to get on my good side.

A few more got up and did things, and then the leaders handed out patches to all the boys.  Then they said ,"We have a few extra.  Are there any parents who would like a patch?"  Hey-I EARNED this patch!  So did all the other parents because there was a line to get one.  They must be enjoying themselves as thoroughly as I am, and by the next morning, any who didn't get the patch were kicking themselves I'm sure.

We found our way back to camp more easily than there, mainly because we'd been there before, and warmed at the fire.  Then I went to the bathroom that's never been cleaned, and use by boys, and performed great feats to use it while not touching anything.  A hole in the ground would have been preferable.  But at least I wasn't the next guy that went in.  I warned him the lights were on a timer...he didn't listen...snicker

We went to "bed".  I wore thick pj bottoms, a T-shirt, my hat, my coat, one blanket and one sleeping bag below us, and one blanket and one sleeping bag on us.  Marcus didn't want his toboggan, so I wore it later when he fell asleep.  This tent, I later noticed, was advertised as "well ventilated".....need I say more?

I laid on my left side and held Marcus until I couldn't any more.  Then I laid on my back and found the one rock I inevitably always place my tent upon and held Marcus as long as possible.  Then I rolled to my right and let him shiver until that side goes numb, and my left is ready for more torture.  Meanwhile, a nice cool breeze from the thunderstorm blew through the top of the tent.  We did stay dry.

I also noticed, due to my inability to sleep, that I kept hearing cars driving all night long.  Sure enough, there were far less campers the next morning.  Snicker.  

We packed up, signed out, and got into the car with the heater on full blast.  An hour later, Marcus said he was finally warm enough.  I called home.  Arlis and Dad seemed to find this hilarious and mocked me for two days.  My brother took dad to boy scout campouts, I did not.  I did not think it fair that I should be laughed at as though payback by him when my brother has two daughters and therefore will not encounter this little payback adventure.  But if life were fair....

My son and I got to bond in a wonderful way, and I got a list of stories I have only begun to tell from it.  So all is good. :)  I also got to make my dad cry from laughing...for two days...sigh

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh! Thank you for commenting!