Translate

Monday, January 30, 2012

I've missed the theatre

For those who knew me...years and years ago... allow me this one sentence.  Since high school I have done more indies, voice overs, promos, model work, and other "entertainment industry" work than I actually remember.  But one thing I haven't done in a very long time was stage.  So, I decided it was time again, and contacted the Cumberland County Playhouse.

I looked them up in Equity and didn't find them, so I assumed they were purely amateur.  I got a new monologue and music piece ready (wow, it has REALLY been a long time) and went for it.  I am now the wallpaper in Sound of Music.  (in other words, no one would miss me if I wasn't there) 

I am a nun (one of many, many nuns), and I shall be called...Gretal...  And I shall wear...a black habit...

I later find out through a real nice young lady that they are professional and found their rates of pay-YES-I CAN get a gig that pays around here!  I hold hopes for next year, but not really until then, but it would be SO much better than tax returns!  (The director did ask me to stick around and give them a chance as he would make it worth my while.  I didn't understand this until I found out their pay scale-nice.)

So, I'm in rehearsal, and I see people running around in sweats, scarves, gloves, character shoes, taps, tights, full makeup with wigs (promo pics) and hilarious costumes that have nothing to do with anything I know about that's going on there, and I realize just how much I missed the ordered chaos of theatre.  Absolute insanity, and yet, somehow, everyone always knows where to go when.  Amazing really. The lead (Lindy-she plays Maria) goes through a scene we're blocking and everyone (literally) has to hold back the tears b/c we're not supposed to be crying.  She's truly amazing.  The Mother Abbess (I keep thinking "abscess" whenever I see that) is an opera singer and sounds beautiful on her part.  When I wrote this, I had yet to see the work of Captain Von Trapp-Steve is his name.  I have now and he can go from evil intimidation to loving father/husband in a blink...literally...very nice.

We were then sent home and I realized just how much I envied those who got to come back tomorrow and block another scene.

AH-I have MISSED the theatre!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh! Thank you for commenting!